Croydon is a area in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia found about 28 km east of Melbourne's . Croydon has a populace of almost 27,000 people. The area that became Croydon was initially utilised back in the 1840’s by residents for the grazing of farm animals. The initial road in the location was known as Sawmill road due to a sawmill nearby. Later it was changed to Oxford Road and in the 1900’s it was changed as to what it is identified these days as Mt Dandenong Road. The region itself was first known as White Flats as the place was greatly filled by a coarse silvery-white grass. The naming of Croydon was presented to it through the Lacey family whom came from Essx, England who named it after the Croydon in England that was Mrs. Lacey's home town. Near the current Main St shopping precinct is a road named after the Lacey family.
Packages of land in the region were first mapped in 1868 and the location was first formally habituated with all the region emphasizing the farming of sheep, dairy and beef. There were also some sawmills established. Next, there have been orchards which incorporated cherries, apples, pears, peaches in addition to plums that did well. Some of the present-day street names in and around Croydon today reflect that early on development. In 1874 Cobb & Co began services using horses and buggies to the area. A railroad track to the area was opened up on 1 December 1882 and the rail station was named Warrandyte that was not really actually in Warrandyte which was misleading as that region was a horse and coach journey 10km away. On 1 August 1884 it was renamed to become called the Croydon train stop. In the mid-1880s Mr James Hewish constructed his homestead and began several other business ventures which included a general retailer, news agency, butchers shop and a hotel. He also founded several orchard trees. The Croydon Post Office was launched on 1 December 1883. The close by Nelson's Hill Post Office opened in 1902 and it was later relabeled Burnt Bridge in 1979. On Mt Dandenong Road in 1908 Croydon Hall had been built. It was finally announced and gazetted being a town in 1912.
In 1920 a Monday marketplace was began in Croydon which included live animals, chickens, birds as well as other small animals. It was really a noted landmark in the area as well as a favorite meeting location for locals from neighbouring suburbs until the site was redeveloped in the 80s. The market was finally shut down in 2012. For local government purposes, Croydon was initially an important part of what was then the Shire of Lillydale, however in 1957 a request was submitted by representatives for Croydon to leave the Shire of Lillydale and become its own governing organization. The City and Shire of Croydon was incorporated in May 1961 and was announced as a City in 1971. Afterwards, it was combined, in addition to the City of Ringwood being the City of Maroondah in 1994. These days, the Main Street of Croydon is a booming community hub that has just about 200 shops.